Thursday, December 27, 2012

Goals for 2013

Instead of the normal New Year’s Resolutions this year, why not set some goals for 2013? If you are really interested in doing something different this year set goals and make a plan. Here are the 5 areas we focused on in 2012 and I feel like we have become a better version of ourselves because of it. We still have plenty to work on in 2013!!

1.       Physical Goals
2.       Relational Goals
3.       Financial Goals
4.       Spiritual Goals
5.       Professional Goals

Physical Goals
Losing weight, working out regularly, eating better, or creating more balance are great goals to start with.  Make a workout plan that improves on what you are already doing little by little. If you don’t work out at all, don’t make a commitment from January 1 to workout 6 days a week. Decide in January to workout 1 day a week for 30 minutes. February can build on that. You didn’t make bad habits in one month, you aren’t going to turn the ship around in one month either.
Relational Goals
I divided mine up into different categories. I wanted to improve with my relationship with my husband and I made some goals that I kept and a lot that I broke too. I made goals to improve my relationship with myself…weird, I know. I don’t always have the best things to say about myself and I don’t want to continue that habit. In order for some of my ME goals to happen I had to say “no” to other good things. I also wanted to set goals in my relationship with Ethan; I want to be a better mom, even in the small things. I wrote down goals to improve relationships with my best friend, small group, and the people I see at church.
Financial Goals
Well you know we were all over these! We made specific goals for 2012 and are on target to meet them despite all of the bumps in the road. I’ve learned that for as many set-backs we’ve had financially, we’ve been blessed that much and more. Our financial plan started almost 4 years ago with both of us dreaming about what we could do if we had money. Start by dreaming about where all your money would go if you didn’t pay a penny to debt. For us that was a lot of money 4 years ago. We are a little over a year from that moment…our conversations have been so fun thinking about the freedom that comes with no payments!! Until then, we forge ahead!
Here is a podcast that we have recently listened to that helped us start thinking about financial goals for 2013. Check out the website- http://howtoberich.org/

Spiritual Goals
This is a big one for us too. We desire to be a serving part of our church family. We also want to put a plan in place to grow in our personal relationship with Jesus daily. We’ve learned in all of these areas that discipline grows when we do something even when we don’t feel like it. I’ve lapsed on my discipline in this area some this year and plan on making a better plan for 2013.

Professional Goals
I spend most of my waking hours at work and want those hours to be purposeful too. I chose some areas that align with my passion and pushed myself to do a better job. I teach physical education to K-4th graders and I get energy from seeing kids get healthier. I have a considerable population of students in the overweight and obese categories and I want to do whatever I can to help those kids learn about the habits to become healthy kids so they will be healthy adults someday too.

YTD Debt Pay-Off: $13,151.90
Total Debt Pay-Off: $37,151.90

No comments:

Post a Comment